Posts for: January, 2018
Having an ankle sprain severely limits your ability to move around, exercise, and participate in sports. A foot doctor can give you the treatment you need to get back on your feet and in motion after an ankle injury. Get help with the healing process from Dr. Henry Slomowitz at his offices in Paterson and Paramus, NJ, serving Hackensack and Ridgewood.
What Causes Ankle Sprains?
An ankle sprain occurs when there is some kind of trauma to the ankle. This may be due to turning or twisting the foot out of place, falling on the ankle, or jumping and landing in an uncomfortable way. A sprain is damage to the ligaments of the ankle. Athletes and runners are prone to ankle sprains because of their high level of activity and swift movements. An ankle sprain can also happen from falling to the side while wearing high-heeled shoes. The severity of a sprain will vary depending on a number of factors, including past injuries and ankle instability.
Treating an Ankle Sprain
The symptoms of an ankle sprain, namely pain and swelling, should not be ignored—they should be treated immediately. Here are some of the ways your Hackensack (Paterson) or Paramus (Ridgewood), NJ foot doctor will treat an ankle sprain:
- Compression bandages to aid healing and support the ankle.
- Elevation of the foot and bed rest.
- Ice therapy to reduce swelling.
- Physical therapy and exercises.
- Crutches to keep pressure off the affected foot.
- Ligament surgery in extreme or recurring cases.
Ankle Sprain Prevention
After you have sprained an ankle, you should do whatever you can to avoid this happening again. Here are some tips for how to prevent future ankle sprains and injuries:
- Ask your podiatrist to show you how to wrap your foot in advance of athletic activity.
- Wear better, more supportive footwear when exercising, running, or walking.
- Ice your foot each evening when you come home from walking, running, or participating in athletics.
Take Your First Step Toward Healing
A foot doctor can help you take your first step to healing from an ankle sprain. Call (973) 684-1011 or 201-599-9255 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Henry Slomowitz in Paterson and Paramus, NJ, and serving Hackensack and Ridgewood.